Wednesday, December 9, 2009

On the To-Read Shelf

Starting this post, I have no set agenda, just the mood to blog about poetry.

Currently I'm reading a poetry anthology called Enduring Ties, edited by Grant Hardy. Okay it could be that Grant Hardy gave me the book and I think very highly of Grant Hardy, but I must say I am loving the anthology. It is a collection of "poems of family relationships." Poetry about family usually gets a bad rap for being overly sentimental, but Hardy has put together a solid collection, far from gushy Hallmark sentiments. It includes work by the poets Whitman, Bronte, Blake, Plath, Milton, Shakespeare, and Dickinson, just name a few, even one by quirky favorites of mine, James Tate (!). The work also includes a substantial amount of translations of Chinese poetry, which is kind of new to me, and I like it. The organization, notes, and biographical tidbits are terrific. My only suggestion would be a new title, a revamped cover, and an emphasis on the gems this work has to offer.



And, its not poetry, but I've just began The Age of Innocence, by Edith Wharton. Thus far, I love the wit, satire, and humor of the work.

I was also reading (and loving) James Tate's newest, The Ghost Soldiers, but a necessary return to the library cut my pleasure short. Still, I recommend it to you, dear reader.

My long list of what to read doesn't include much poetry, but here's a sample of what it does include: Atlas Shrugged, Ayn Rand; Fountainhead, Ayn Rand; Selected Poems 1934-1952, Dylan Thomas;  1984, George Orwell; The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy, Douglas Adams; Boy's Life, Robert C. McCammon, all Jane Austen novels; Jesus the Christ, James E. Talmage; and a work of Dickens.

I promise though, poetry will wind up in the mix. It always does. I owe you a posting of an awesome poem. I'll give you one soon. I'd also like to share with you more Performance Poetry, as well as some great YouTube videos.

I'm curious for any opinions on the works on my list, particularly those of Ayn Rand and Dylan Thomas. And, any suggestions of what to add to my ever growing long to-read list?

No comments: